School of the Cathedral Mary Our Queen

Catholic Schools

About Us » School History

School History

"The School of the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen is a parish school that celebrates the rich historic traditions of the past, works collaboratively with parents to invest in the present, and builds for the future.
 
Cathedral offers students a rigorous, well-rounded education steeped in a Christ-centered environment to meet the challenges and leadership need of an evolving world.”
 
The rich tradition of cathedral schools dates back to the Middle-Ages where they served as centers of premier academic instruction. The School of the Cathedral has retained the value of being a center of academic excellence. Cathedral’s primary goal is to achieve academic excellence and spiritual strength so that every student may meet with success.
 

The Cathedral School opened in 1871 under the name “Saint Joseph’s Metropolitan School” as a co-educational school on Mulberry Street in downtown Baltimore. In 1871, Archbishop Spalding requested that the School Sisters of Notre Dame staff the school and renamed it The Cathedral School. There were 280 students when the school was renamed and the doors opened at the site of the new Cathedral in 1960. Today Cathedral draws its 443 students from the parish, Baltimore City, and surrounding counties.