Notes from the Principal's Desk: May 5, 2022
We want to thank all participants and volunteers who attended the Cardinal Cup last weekend and helped make it a great success. After not having held the event in person for two years, it was great to join together in community again with Mother Seton Academy. The weather cooperated, the event was well attended, and everyone had a great morning supporting a terrific cause.
This Saturday, we ask that you keep our second-grade students in your prayers as they prepare to receive their First Holy Communion. It is a special occasion for the students and their families. The students have been hard at work preparing and are looking forward to receiving the sacrament.
Revised COVID Protocols
This week you have received several emails regarding the increase in COVID cases in school and the revision of the protocols. These revised protocol has been done in consultation with the Department of Catholic Schools and school leadership. The review of revised protocols are:Revised COVID Protocols:
- For classrooms with 3 students who tested positive for COVID, masking will be optional via parent choice. We will communicate to the families when specific homerooms have met this threshold.
- Students who are close contacts with siblings, or anyone in the household, who is positive for COVID should remain at home for the 5-day quarantine time rather than attend school. Masking is required for 5-days upon return to school.
Here is the current table with COVID cases broken down by homeroom as of today.
Staff Updates for the 2022-2023 School Year
We are excited to announce that we have hired a Pre-K4 teacher for the 2022-2023 school year. Right before Easter break, Ms. Toya Back accepted our offer to be our Pre-K 4 teacher! She has excellent experience as a Pre-K teacher, and the hiring team is confident in her abilities to be a success.
We are still in the process of hiring a Pre-K4 instructional assistant. If you or someone you know is interested in this position, please visit the Archbalt.org website to apply.
We have also been in the process of interviewing candidates for Assistant Principal next year. We have interviewed numerous candidates and plan on making an announcement within the next two weeks.
Finally, we wanted to make everyone aware that two staff members will be leaving us next year and two teachers will be changing grade levels next year. We wish the best of luck to Sr. Jane Moran and Christine Unitas as they move on to the next adventures ahead of them.
Additionally, we want to share that Ms. Courtney will be moving to 4th grade, and Ms. Paranzino will be moving to 3rd grade. We believe these switch will best support the students and intermediate team and look forward to what they bring to those grades next year.
How to Order Flynn O'Hara Uniforms
Please Share! Grandparents & Special Friends Day Now Remote Event on Facebook
We ask that you please remind your grandparents and special friends that Grandparents and Special Friends Day has pivoted to a remote event. We will not be able to let Grandparents or Special Friends into the building if they show up to school, and we would hate to have to turn them away.
Although we will not have visitors in the classroom we will still have the performance portion and stream it on Facebook for the grandparents and special friends.
The schedule for performances in the gym is as follows.
Grades K-2: 1:15 - 1:35
Grades 3-5: 1:45 - 2:05
Grades 6-8: 2:15 - 2:35
We thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
Don't Forget to Donate a Book in honor of your Grandchild!
Grandparents and Special Friends are invited to donate a book to our library in honor of your grandchild. Each book is chosen by your grandchild and adorned with a personalized bookplate.
Support your grandchild's literacy today! Each book is $20 and our goal is $1800. (90 books) Donations also support our visiting author program- returning SY22-23!
May Crowning Invitation on Thursday, May 12
Next week, we look forward to May Crowning following our regular Thursday morning Liturgy. As always, parents are invited to attend.
As a reminder, 2nd Graders are asked to wear their First Communion Best - photos will be taken after the May crowning ceremony.
Yearbook Photos: Reminder
The yearbook club needs parents and staff to send any photos from this year's events (Halloween, Christmas, Turkey Trot, Cardinal Cup, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please send photos to the yearbook club - your photo may be featured in our yearbook!
May is Mental Health Awareness Month
Mental Health Awareness Month was developed in 1949 to increase awareness of the importance of mental health and wellness in America and to decrease the stigma associated with seeking help.How Are We Celebrating Mental Health Awareness Month At SCMOQ?
- During announcements this past week, members of our Student Council discussed the definition of mental health and how important it is for each of us to take care of ourselves and each other.
- Next Monday, we will have a Mindful Monday (meditation) following our prayer and morning announcements. We will take a brief moment to clear our minds of the business of the weekend and help each of us re-focus on our academics while preparing to end the year on a strong note while being our very best selves. Many of our amazing teachers use mindfulness regularly in their classroom too!
- Positive Self-Talk/Affirmations- will be posted in prominent places in the building so that we remember to practice positive self-talk. Some examples include: I’ve Got This!; I Can Do Hard Things! ; I Am A Blessed Child Of God!
- Finally, Student Council members asked students how they will end the school year being RESILIENT even though “Spring Fever” is in the air. We can’t wait to hear what our students come up with!
Children’s Mental Health Matters In Maryland
- Family Toolkit - This toolkit includes facts sheets that describe some common behaviors that children and teens may experience. The toolkit also gives some suggestions about when and where to seek professional help if you think your child has a mental health concern.
- Family Affirmation Calendar for May 2022
- Self-Care For Families- Tips to fuel your family’s self-care journey
I hope you find these resources helpful. Happy Spring and Happy Mental Health Awareness Month!
- Saturday, May 14 at 8:30 AM
- Thursday, May 12
- School Liturgy at 8:15 AM
- May Procession (Crowning) after the 8:15 AM Mass
- Friday, May 13 at 10:30 AM
- 8th Grade Faith in Focus Leadership Conference
- Thursday, May 12 - Sunday, May 15
- St. Bernadette Relics in the Cathedral
Last Note From Dr. Wright
Have a great weekend and congratulations to our 2nd-grade students!
Dr. Michael Wright