Notes from the Principal's Desk: May 3, 2018
I hope that by this point of the week everyone has had a chance to rest and recuperate from the Cathedral Ball, "Picnic Under the Stars." I would like to offer my sincere gratitude to Mrs. Ullman and Mrs. Mollica for their guidance and leadership in making this year's fundraiser such a huge success. If you won an auction item and have not had a chance to pick it up yet, please know that we have placed them in the gym foyer for families to collect their winnings.
Speaking of picking up items, we should share that there is a large collection of water bottles, lunchboxes and clothing remaining in the Lost & Found. If you have not had an opportunity to visit the Lost & Found in the cafeteria, I encourage you to do so soon. In June, the school will begin to sort any uncollected items for donation to St. Vincent de Paul of Baltimore.
All requests for placement must be emailed to the Lower School or Middle School Dean, as appropriate, (and copied to the child's current homeroom teacher) by May 15 and must include detailed reasons for the request. Please send a separate email for each child; list the child's present grade and homeroom; list the teacher you are requesting; and give your name, address, and telephone number.
Looking at the calendar it is hard to believe that there are only 26 school days left! Here are some upcoming events to be mindful of as we approach the end of the school year:
- Friday May 4th: 8th grade Faith and Focus Leadership Conference - Tomorrow our 8th grade students complete a three-year study of social justice by delivering their TED style presentations to the community.
- Monday May 7th: School closed for Archdiocesan Professional Development - Y after-care will be closed.
- Friday May 11th: Grandparents, Special Friends Day, and Fine Arts Day- This is a half day with dismissal at 11:45AM (Y after-care will be open). See the schedule here!
- Thursday May 17th: May Crowning. This will take place during our weekly school-wide Liturgy.
- Monday May 21st through Thursday May 24th: Exams!
- Wednesday May 30th: Field Day 8AM-12PM. In the afternoon students will vote for next year's Student Council Commissioners. Friday, June 1st is the rain date for both.
- Thursday May 31st: 5th grade Stars and Stripes assembly!
- Tuesday June 5th: Gr. 8 graduation rehearsal 12PM-1PM
- Wednesday June 6th: Gr. 8 Awards Assembly 9AM-11:30AM.
- Thursday June 7th: Gr. 8 Hershey Park Trip
- Friday June 8th: Half day (11:45AM dismissal). Gr. 8 Graduation 3:30PM.
- Tuesday June 12th: Gr. K-7 Awards Assembly. 9AM-11:30AM
- Wednesday June 13th: LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!! Closing Liturgy at 10:30 AM and dismissal at 11:45AM.
- Friday June 15th: Last day for Faculty and Staff!
As noted earlier we will be closed this Monday as the faculty and staff are in professional development. We will spend Monday analyzing the data from the recent standardized tests and our other formative assessments this school year. We will also begin working on forming the data teams for next year so we can best support our students on their journey to success.
You may also note that May 11th is a half day. In the afternoon faculty will be in professional development sessions, this time sharing the research they have been working on throughout the school in their Professional Learning Communities (PLC). A PLC is a group of educators who decide to work together to grow professionally through research, action research and discussion. At the beginning of this school year, teachers chose topics to research. The afternoon of the 11th is dedicated to faculty presenting to one another what they have discovered this year.
Finally, I ask that everyone keep Monsignor Woy in their prayer intentions this week, as he travels to Lourdes with the Order of Malta to attend to the needs of the gravely ill. I know that this is an important ministry to Monsignor and a transformative experience for those who are blessed to make the journey.