Notes from the Principal's Desk: preparing for the first week of school!
Dear Cathedral Families,
Welcome to the start of the 2019-2020 school year! The faculty, staff, and administration are so thrilled to begin the new year. A new school year brings the excitement of beginning fresh and the anticipation of the unknown and what lies ahead. Below I’d like to share a prayer for students as they begin the new school year.
A Student's Prayer for a New School Year
Lord Jesus, I ask for Your help as I begin this new school year. Allow me to experience Your presence in the many blessings You put before me.
Open my eyes to the new challenges and exciting opportunities that this new school year brings. Open my heart and mind to new friends and new teachers.
Give me a generous spirit to be enthusiastic with my studies and courage to accept new opportunities. Help me to be attentive to my teachers and let me experience Your presence in my new friends.
Jesus, inspire me to do my best this year!
Yesterday, we had a successful Sneak-a-Peek at your Classroom day. There was lots of energy, and it was good to have the students back in the building. We had over 100 families visit, drop off school supplies, and take a first look at their child’s classroom. I want to thank CASPA, with a special shout out to Mrs. McDermond, for providing hospitality!
If you are interested in ordering lunch for your student for the school year, please visit the Lunch Box Program website at www.lunchboxprogram.com to register and order lunches.
Looking ahead to next week:
- The first day of classes is Tuesday, September 3rd. It is a half-day with dismissal at 11:50 AM.
- Wednesday, September 4th is the first full day of school. A reminder that our school day begins at 7:55 AM and ends at 2:50 PM. CED(Cathedral Extended Day aftercare) also begins on Wednesday. Please reach out to Ms. Bergin, firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit our website if you would like to register for aftercare.
- Back to School Night is also Wednesday, September 4th. Back to School Night will begin in the school gym at 6 PM. A high school information session will be held at 8 PM in the gym following back to school night.
- Our opening school Liturgy will be on Thursday, September 5th at 8:15 AM. We invite all parents and guardians of students to attend the mass with the school.
- Friday, September 6th is a busy day. The morning is kicked off with theMiddle School Prayer Service and the Stars and Stripes Brunchat 9 AM. Friday night, the Parish holds its first Kids' Night Out (KNO) of the Year from 6 PM to 8:30 PM. Additionally, the Parish hosts the year's first Middle School Mixer from 7 PM until 9 PM. Registration for KNO and the Mixer are due by Wednesday.
Finally, I want to make everyone aware that there will be a band demonstration for 4th through 8th grade students on Thursday, September 12th. There is nothing specific for students to bring to school on the 12th to prepare for the band demonstration other than an open mind. Research has proven that learning an instrument improves learning and cognitive function. Additionally, practicing an instrument means less time on a device or in front of the TV at home. If you have a 4th through 8th grade student, we encourage you to talk to them about joining the school band! Below is the schedule for the demo day.
- 4th grade 9 AM
- 5th grade 9:30 AM
- 6th grade 10:00 AM
- 7th & 8th grade 10:20 AM
I pray that everyone has a safe and relaxing Labor Day as we prepare for an exciting new school year!